DeathWatch: Terminus Sanctio
Overview of the Imperium
The Imperium is the largest and most powerful political entity in the galaxy, consisting of at least a million worlds, which are dispersed across most of the Milky Way galaxy. Consequently, an Imperial planet might be separated from its closest neighbor by hundreds or thousands of light years. As a stellar empire, the size of the Imperium can not be measured in terms of continuous territory, but only in the number of planetary systems in its control.
Most of the organizations comprising the Imperium are divisions of the vast Adeptus Terra (the Priesthood of Earth). There are countless divisions, some are so secretive their existence is known only to a few. The most well-known of the “secret” organizations is the Officio Assassinorum.
The most important and well-known Imperial organizations include:
- The Administratum – Responsible for administrative functions, it is the largest division, numbering countless scribes and petty officials. It administrates the Imperium at every level, assessing tithes and taxes, conducting population censuses, recording and planning. It consists of innumerable subdivisions, offices and and departments.
- Departmento Munitorum – A department of the Administration, responsible for administering and supplying the Imperial Guard.
- Adeptus Astra Telepathica – The Imperium’s network of astropaths, responsible for transmitting faster-than-light messages through the Imperium.
- Navis Nobilite – Navigators who pilot Imperial vessels through the Warp.
- Adeptus Mechanicus – Technicians and scientists who build and maintain Imperial equipment, vessels, and weapons of war. Also known as the priesthood of Mars or the Mechanicus; they treat all technology as holy and imbued with machine spirits that need to be placated in order to function properly.
- Adeptus Arbites – Galactic police force which enforces the “Lex Imperia” – the Imperial law.
- Officio Assassinorum – The most subvert of all the known Imperial divisions, the assassins are responsible for removing key leaders of an enemy.
- Inquisition – Troubleshooters and internal affairs organization; they are responsible for investigating any potential threat to mankind or the Imperium. Its agents hunt down heretics, traitors, alien infiltrators and even daemons. They necessarily exist beyond the Adeptus Terra, as part of the Inquisition’s role involves rooting out corruption and gross incompetence from the Imperium itself. They answer only to the Emperor and to themselves.
- Adeptus Ministorum – The Imperial church which maintains the Imperial creed and faith.
- Imperial Fleet
The military forces of the Imperium include:
- Imperial Guard – The Imperial Guard is the primary fighting force of the Imperium, so numerous in size that even the Departmento Munitorum cannot place a figure on the number of Guardsmen under arms at any one time; the daily lists of new recruits and toll of casualties can run into the millions in a single day. It would be infeasible trying to put any exact number on the strength of the Guard; however, it is believed that there must be many billions of Imperial Guardsmen, divided into millions of regiments.
- Space Marines – Organized into chapters with up to a 1,000 marines each, there are over a 1,000 chapters in existence today; though many cannot field a full chapter due to attrition and losses in the field of battle. The Space Marines are genetically engineered superhumans who are the backbone of the Imperium might. A single space marine is equal to 50 infantry of the Imperial Guard. While the Space Marines fall within the Adeptus Terra, they are truly beholden to none other than their own ties of loyalty to the Imperium, the Codex Astartes, and their allegiance to the Emperor.
- Collegia Titanica – The Collegia Titanica is the section of the Adeptus Mechanicus that includes the Imperial Titans, the colossal god-machines. The Collegia is also known as the “Adeptus Titanicus” (a contraction of “Adeptus Mechanicus Collegia Titanica”)
- Sisters of Battle – The Adepta Sororitas (also “the Sisterhood” or “Daughters of the Emperor”) are an all-woman subdivision of the religious organization known as the Ecclesiarchy or Ministorum. The Sisterhood’s Orders Militant serve as the Ecclesiarchy’s fighting arm, mercilessly rooting out corruption and heresy within humanity and every organization of the Adeptus Terra.
See the Imperium for additional details.